Thursday, June 10, 2010

Learning what you Live...

Well, this blogging thing is harder than it seems but today I have something heavy on my heart to share.

My 9 year old daughter was sitting at the computer when I told her she could unplug the laptop and go into the living area.  She said, ''You don't let us do that, Mom.  That's the rule. We sit here to work on the computer.''.  I responded with, ''Who made that rule...I have never put that rule into place.''  Her simple answer, ''You never unplug it and go into the other room with it, so I assumed I wasn't able to either.''

This written account of this interaction, may not be the exact words of the exchange, but you get the point.  Our children watch our every move.  Spoken, unspoken, intentional, unintentional.  Using this to our advantage is possibly the key ingredient that separates the great parents from the good parents.

Recently I began the process of divorce.  My divorce is not final yet and I honestly see no end in site from a legal standpoint.  From an opportunity standpoint, I see many options in using my heart ache to help my children understand life, love and the true pursuit of happiness.  And when you're raising two little girls, specifically, purity is a key element that every mother desires to instill in their hearts.  Not just the concept, but the desire, courage and self confidence to make a decision proactively and avoid situations where the temptation may be dangerous.  This doesn't just involve other people, but these days it involves tv, computer, magazines, text messages...even video games.  Our children are surrounded by the lies that purity is not important and lack of purity moves you forward.  Hmmm....I am left to ask myself, have I made an unspoken agreement to that lie over the years...And if I have, I wonder what God wants to replace it with...

If I am honest, the answer is yes, I have.  The consequences have been great and will forever remain as a reminder of the importance of intentional, proactive living.  Too often people think of God's wisdom as a deflation to their party, when in fact it is simply guard rails for your heart.  His wisdom is not rigid rules to prevent or hinder us.  His wisdom enhances, satisfies and places us in a mindset to receive the blessings He places in front of us, to the fullest.


A while back, I made the decision to stop wearing my wedding ring.  For me it was a symbol of something that was no longer a possibility and a constant reminder of what was not.  I won't go into detail on what a wedding ring is suppose to signify, but I will tell you that when I removed it, God replaced it with something else...And He did it in a way only He could do.  One day, I'll share that story, but today is not the day.

To wrap this post up and bring it full circle.  I wear a ring now.  It's not my wedding ring, but it's a ring that I feel God gave me.  One that brings a visual reminder into my spirit each time I need to be reminded that my purity is important. It's crucial.  If for no other reason, BECAUSE my kids are learning by what I LIVE.   They are making agreements with truths, and lies, that will remain a part of them through life.  I believe it is my job to make sure those agreements are understood, so when they do make their own choices they do so with a wisdom far beyond anything I could decide for them.  Like my mother use to say, ''root and wings.  roots and wings''.  As a mother myself, it is sometimes the hardest thing to truly, consistently achieve.


In my quiet time this morning, I surrendered the busyness of my mind and the Spirit lead me to this verse.  ''If someone claims, ''I know Him well but doesn't keep His commandments, he's obviously a liar.''  It may not all come together for you while reading this post, but it will come.  It has for me this morning and I am thankful I serve a God that leads.  He's my husband and He will never leave or forsake me.  He allows me to be the imperfect person that I am, knowing I am serving Him, a perfect God.


Shine on.  Be yourself.

2 comments:

Cat said...

This is a GREAT post, Beth. It brought me to tears and really spoke to me. I can't wait for the go ahead to tell all my readers about your blog because it's wonderful. I thikn you should share the story of how you became the owner of that ring. It's so neat! :)

Beth said...

one day, i will. one day.

love you. thanks for your encouragement. your words, my feelings and another friends encounter prompted the newest posts...enjoy. xoxo

Post a Comment